Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dogs vs. Babies

The other day at the medical clinic, I was prepping an elderly lady for a back injection procedure and we were carrying on small talk when she asked if I had any kids.

Me: "Oh, no, ma'am.  Not yet.  We just got married a little over a year ago and are waiting a couple years since we have graduate school plans...but we have two dogs, and we treat them like our children!"
Old Lady (in a crotchety snappy voice): "What?! Married one year?  You could've had two kids by now!  Dogs ain't the same!"
(doctor comes in the room)
Old Lady: "Doctor, I was just tellin' your girl here that she should start makin' babies!"

via
Now I know everyone's situation is different - some women just want to get married and start a family and are content with being a stay-at-home mom.  Some women are career driven and wait until their 30s to start "settling" down with their family.  Some women just go with the flow...I've always been that "driven" woman, but now that I'm married, I like to think of myself as a "go with the flow" gal.  But I honestly just don't feel ready to have a baby.  I love children, and I look forward to being a mom...but newborns scare me.  The are just so fragile and dependent and I am not ready for that responsibility.

Enter the "dog" years.  A young married couple's trial period of responsibility and care for another living thing.  Here is a list of pro's and con's in regards to dogs vs. babies:
  • Dogs learn quickly.  You can have them potty trained in a week if you are really consistent.  Babies require constant attention and numerous diaper changes for a couple years.
  • Babies eventually grow up to be young children who go to the bathroom when they please.  Dogs who go when the please require you to keep a large supply of paper towels and cleaning spray.
  • Dogs nap a lot.  Babies nap a lot.  Dogs bark a lot.  Babies cry a lot.
  • Dogs smell.  Babies smell.
  • Dogs need a dish for kibble and a dish for water.  Babies need to latch onto your nipples.
  • Dogs will love you even if you yell at them for chewing on your shoes.  They most likely already forgot about the shoes and are looking to you for a belly rub during your reprimanding...and they'll keep on loving you. Babies will love you from the moment they are conceived.  But will eventually grow up to teenagers who'll roll their eyes at you when you reprimand them...but they'll get over it and keep on loving you.

We are very happy "parents" to JoJo and Mcghee - even when they pee on the floor or chew up the carpet.  And we look forward to the day that we can introduce them to a baby of our own.  I don't need to worry about when I'll be ready or feel pressured by other women my age who are starting to have kids.  God has a plan for our family and it's in HIS timing.  So we will do our best to continue to love our dogs as if they were our own babies until God's plan is revealed!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baha, no you did NOT just compare babies to dogs. XD That was funny. But yes, no rushing, and definitely look for God's approval. Happy living!

    O.F.C.J.

    www.overwhelmingfullness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...Yeah, I'm definitely hoping I don't offend any of my friends who have babies :) LOL. Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous post- I definitely agree that having dogs together is a much better step for a newly married couple than jumping right into having babies! My parents got a dog before they had me (their firstborn), and they always say that it prepared them really well for raising kids together. Plus, as you said, it's not something you to need to be in a rush for- God has it all under control. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous post- I definitely agree that having dogs together is a much better step for a newly married couple than jumping right into having babies! My parents got a dog before they had me (their firstborn), and they always say that it prepared them really well for raising kids together. Plus, as you said, it's not something you to need to be in a rush for- God has it all under control. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha...Yeah, I'm definitely hoping I don't offend any of my friends who have babies :) LOL. Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete