Monday, June 20, 2011

Dear Diary...

via weheartit.com
I have been thinking about starting to write in a diary, er...i guess the cool kids seem to be calling them "journals."  I've never really gotten into journal writing before. Having a blog is one thing, but being able to have a personal handwritten book of thoughts, inspirations, and trials seems like a good idea.

Lately I've really been struggling with homesickness, depression, and internal stress.  This is really nothing new for me, I tend to keep all my anxiety about things bottled up until I can't handle the emotions anymore and eventually break down.  I know, that isn't healthy.  I just don't like talking to people and/or feel like I don't want to burden them with my trials.  It seems like journaling could be a healthy outlet for me to express my thoughts and write down my prayers and conversations with the Lord.  I'd also be able to keep myself accountable with my Bible reading if I write about things I'm learning through the Word.  It'd also be nice to have a one-stop-shop stream of consciousness location for me to write down general creative ideas, doodle, and document inspiration.  I just don't really know where to start...but I assume the answer will be "just start writing" and go from there.

Do you keep a journal?  What kind of things do you put in it?  Any advice for a journal newbie?

8 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer in the power of journaling! When I worked at camp I journaled twice a day (in the mornings I journaled about my devotions, and in the evening I journaled about my day). Since moving back I don't journal quite as regularly, but it has been the best stress reliever. I also hold things inside and don't like talking to people, so that's helped a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear it! i think it will really help me to relieve my stress and anxious thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just start writing. Find a journal you think is pretty and will work for you (I like to be able to turn it back on itself and have it lay flat) and go to it.

    I keep two - one just for quiet time reflections, and one as a brain/emotion dump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. keeping two sounds like a good idea, but i might "misplace" one in our mess of an apartment...hehe. any suggestions where to find some good journals?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep my emotions bottled up too...and no, it's not good. I'm still trying not to do that. I journal and it helps. Most mornings I will write out everything I am feeling that moment to the Lord. It's a huge burden lifter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, journal sounds like a great outlet for you. I used to keep a prayer journal, but never have been much of a personal journal keeper until my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I journal! I go in waves. I started in high school, and wrote through college and even until now. I notice I journal more when I have lots to process. Now that I blog I find I journal less. While in Europe for three weeks with a difficult travel companion and no internet access I filled an entire journal!

    Just write when you want, whatever you want. I hope you start to love it! I use mine to take notes at church, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a firm believer in the power of journaling! When I worked at camp I journaled twice a day (in the mornings I journaled about my devotions, and in the evening I journaled about my day). Since moving back I don't journal quite as regularly, but it has been the best stress reliever. I also hold things inside and don't like talking to people, so that's helped a lot :)

    ReplyDelete