Friday, September 2, 2011

Fangirl Friday

I've been sick this week, so I've spent most of my time on the internet recuperating and discovering some new favorite things to squee over:

*Ellie Holcomb's Magnolia EP - She is the female voice behind Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors, a folk-rock band I discovered earlier this summer.  Matt and I even did a cover of one of their songs at a church event!  Her songs on this EP were inspired by the Psalms and her voice singing sweet melodies in praise to God is just so inspiring.

*Crochet patterns for cowls, scarves, and headwarmers in hopes that fall will get here soon.  I love the crisp air and the crunchy colorful leaves...*oh wait* I forgot I live in Mississippi now and it is still 90 degrees outside and fall probably won't be the same as in Wisconsin...we'll see!
via
*The ridiculously awesome Hunger Games viral site... though I'm still reaaaaaaaalllllyyyyyy skeptical about the movies.  Jennifer Lawrence just does not do it for me.  Nor Liam Hemsworth as Gale.  We shall see.  Anyway, I registered on the site and I'm in District 11, how about you?

*These recipes: Glazed Doughnut Muffins and Cookies and Cream Cookies Need I say more?

*Awesome science blogs such as Not Exactly Rocket Science and Small Things Considered.  I am LOVING reading and learning about all of the fascinating happenings of the cellular and microbial world.  When I was thinking about med school, I followed a bunch of pre-med/med school related blogs and to be honest, I usually just hit "mark as read" on 90% of the posts.  But I'm finding that I just HAVE to read every single post in my Google Reader "Science!" folder.  I think research is definitely my calling :)

*ROME.  An awesome historical drama about...Rome (hahaha) around the rise and fall of Caesar and the decline of the Republic.  It's definitely R-rated (sex and violence) but I love the back-stabby political characters and the beautiful historical costuming and design.

*Apple Cider flavored Halls Warm-Ups.  Menthol goodness to soothe my sore throat and clear my congested nasal passages.  Did I mention it was Apple Cider flavored?  That reminds me of fall.  Did you know that I love fall?!?! :)





12 comments:

  1. I'm in district 11 as well. I'm also so skeptical about the films. My best friend and I keep voicing our fears to each other. And it REALLY bugs me that they made Katniss so similar to Lara Croft.

    Ps. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my sister and I have been chatting about our fears as well...hopefully they don't "Twilight" the series...

    And thanks! I am feeling much better today. I've been baking lots of tasty treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send me any pretty scarves or cowls you make! It's 65 degrees in Illinois today... I'm going to need to accessorize soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having some lovely fall weather right now, so I've been eyeing some crochet/knit patterns as well! So glad I will soon be able to pull out my sweaters & hats (if I can pull off hats with the new 'do)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Tropical Storm Lee came this weekend and cooled it off down here, too! It's 69 today and the "natives" are complaining it is too cold...haha, but I'm LOVING it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, it cooled down over here as well, so I'm totally excited to start some yarned project goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetie, it's only Thursday. Really. Though if through some magical wormhole time-warp it could be Friday, I'd be cool with it.

    Speaking of cool, the nights here have been in the fifties - days in the low seventies. Perfect fall weathers. Trees still pretty green, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was from last Friday :) hehehehe.

    Unfortunately, the heat has been creeping back this week. Had to turn the A/C on in the car again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! You're still a sicky poo?? Major bums! So you like fall huh? Me too.. I think it's my favorite.. Yet in CA it's not really fall until November and even then sometimes we get a random 90+ degree day here and there.. I just can't wait to regain some warm drink cravings! All I want to drink right now is anything ice cold!

    And I think it's super adorable that you like science...I wish I was smarter so I could have pursued pre-med.. I seriously used to cry in class when my bio professors would expound on cells structure, mRNA, proteins, etc. SERIOUSLY! CRY! It was beautiful to see how God's handwriting was in everything.. I pretty much loved it! I would've pursued it but my math skills were sub par. Oh well... Hope you're all back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a sicky poo anymore! I started to feel better over the weekend :) Yes, I LOVE fall, though I don't think anything can really compare to fall in the midwest. I was loving the cooler weather at the beginning of this week, but it's back to being same ol' hot Mississippi :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember fall in TN as being SHORT. I hope Mississippi offers you some fall goodness. At least you won't have to dread winter while enjoying fall like those of us still in Wisconsin do. I hope you are feeling better asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, I've been a lot better this week :) (a lot of people commented as if this was a recent post, but it was actually from last friday. hmmmm, i wonder if my post didn't go public until today? very weird....)

    This week has actually been a bit cooler (70s) and I've been loving it. Today got to be warm again, though. Where did you live in TN? I'm looking at a PhD program in Nashville...

    ReplyDelete