Friday, October 7, 2011

Connecting the Dots



Steve Jobs passing was very sad and tragic.  He certainly made a great impact in shaping the technology world as we know it today.  He was an innovator, believing in creativity and vision.  And he believed in living life to the fullest.  His speech at Stanford's commencement ceremony in 2005 is as inspiring today as it was for those graduates that year.  Two parts of his speech really stuck out to me:


"You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life...

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."




I don't know what Jobs believed, but the way I interpret his words is clear as a bell - that God has a great plan for our lives.  I've had so many ups and downs in my life so far, and I'm sure there will be many more forks in the road - but I believe in God's loving faithfulness, provision, and purpose for my life.  As said in Steve Job's speech, the dots DO connect.  It's always amazing to look back and see how God was at work during the toughest parts of my life!  Whenever I feel discouraged or lost about my future, it is so comforting to remember that the Lord will provide, and through faith, dedication, and hard work, I can achieve my goals.


Steve Jobs had a great impact on many people's lives.  As a Christian, I wonder how my life will impact others.  Am I living the life God has purposed for me?  Do you think you will make an impact on others?





4 comments:

  1. I hope I do. I pray it is a positive impact. I love the statement about connecting the dots, we can't do it looking forward, only looking back and trusting that the dots will continue to connect in the future. I truly believe the dots will connect in the future. There are too many dots that connected to where I am now to doubt that connection in the future.

    It is in the looking back that I can see the blessings of God, and that leads me to trust in His blessings for the future. My husband always reminds me to ask God to let me catch Him blessing me in the small day to day things. Sometimes my day is so rotten I can't see it, but when I reflect on the day I see little blessings; the man that held the door open for me, the parking place a bit closer to the door so I didn't have as far to run in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those words made me cry when I watched the video yesterday. I'm in a place where I keep trying to connect the dots. To now that it will all come together eventually is a peaceful thought to me.

    I hope I can be an impact in people's lives, but sometimes that thought scares me. To be so influential, wow...I can't even begin to process it.

    The one thing I've always wanted to ask Steve Jobs is if the Martian Chronicles helped inspire a lot of what he created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! Every time someone inpsirational passes away I always think of that question.. Will I have made a difference in someone's life... I want to make a difference... Especially when it pertains to things of God.. I really want God to use me to draw people to Himself... Then that will be the ultimate accomplishment.. I respect Steve Jobs soooo much and his untimely passing is INCREDIBLE sad.. But when all is said and done...he just invented a bunch of cool plastic things...They won't last.. They're gonna burn up in the end... But I want to make a difference in regards to eternal things.. the things of God...Does that make sense? I hope I'm not coming off as insensitive.. I'm not.. It's a tragic loss...


    Janette, the Jongleur

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Mar! I am encouraged by what you said!

    I recently responded to a Pastor which sounded like he was making Steve Jobs a saint; here's my comment and hopefully an encouragement to him:

    i have been reading lately a lot of stuff re: steve jobs: my concern is that us christians don't stand strong enough for Christ that we may be proclaiming "salvation by works"; of course we need to share truth in love but no matter what "good" a person like steve jobs did here on earth, if he didn't believe in jesus christ he will be in eternal judgment. Jesus Christ is the only way, no matter how creative we may be here on earth, Christ is THE CREATOR who makes things real with just a word!

    ReplyDelete