Saturday, October 29, 2011

Science Saturday 1.6: Fruit Wash, Dyslexic Font, Pi, & More


*Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY a science writer/journalist.  I will most likely get some facts wrong (hopefully not).  I simply want to share news that I find interesting.  Knowing that my blog readers are most likely not science people, I will try to explain what I can in the simplest way possible so that anyone can learn something about science today.*


A company has developed a dissolvable sticker that turns into a fruit wash when wet and rubbed.  Labels on fruit are always a pain to rip off, and oftentimes it is difficult to wash off the gluey remains of said sticker.  Well with a little bit of water and rubbing, this sticker will become soap and leave you with a pesticide and sticker free fruit snack.

I love typography and discovering new fonts.  But I never really thought about how an appealing font was processed in the brain.  A new 'dyslexic' font has been designed specifically to help those who suffer from the reading disability.  While sufferers often see letters as mirror images, flipped upside down, or other alterations, this new font is designed with slight alterations to the height, size, slant, etc. of each letter to reduce reading errors.

via

A pair of math enthusiasts in Japan have calculated pi to the 10 trillionth digit.  Suffering from a hard drive crash and then the earthquake last spring, it took just a little less than one year for the computer to calculate the 10 trillionth digit, setting a new Guiness record.

Researchers at Microsoft and Carnegie Mellon University have developed the OmniTouch, a projectable screen that can turn any surface into an interactive touch pad.


Creature Feature:
In honor of the upcoming holiday, enjoy these images of Desmodus rotundus, the common vampire bat.
via
via
via

2 comments:

  1. I love the dyslexic font! I have a mild form of dyslexia, which is an umbrella term under an even greater umbrella of learning disabilities. The dyslexia I display tends to be numeric, but when tired I have had letters reverse order which is another form of dyslexia. My sister has the reverse image type of dyslexia. It makes life interesting.

    The bats are flat creepy!!

    I'm not sure how I feel about the dissolving sticker. One more chemical to get off your fruit?

    The OmniTouch projection could be used for forms of therapy. I'm thinking specifically of people who have had strokes. This would be good for them to regain their small motor use. This is amazing!

    Again, thank you for continuing these posts! I really do love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool that they are turning stickers into fruit wash. Saves my hands some work. And I really like the font story.

    I will say one thing...for the first time ever you blog scared me. I'm not a fan of bats in any way, shape or form. I can watch scary movies by myself at night, but I get terrified of bats. LOL

    ReplyDelete