Friday, December 16, 2011

Shout Out to LvB!

via
Today marks the presumed birthday of one a composer near and dear to my heart - Ludwig van Beethoven.  Just like every young pianist, 10 year old me loved Fur Elise.  Just like every piano performance major, I became familiar with all of the 32 piano sonatas and their impact on shaping the romantic era from the classical era (your music history lesson for the day).  Just like every music lover, I believe Beethoven's music is passionate, emotional, and transcendental.

I thought I would share one of the pieces I performed for my senior recital - Fantasia on an Ostinato by John Corigliano, a well known contemporary composer.  This particular piece explores the famous rhythmic motive of the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony in a minimalist style.  It starts off with one driving note, builds to a harmonic wash of sound in the middle, and ends with a quote of the symphonic theme near the end.  It's about 12 minutes long, so grab a cup of tea, snuggle by the fire, and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Ludwig van. One of the best and my absolute favorite! Happy presumed birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete