Saturday, May 19, 2012

Science Saturday 2.8: Baby Hawks, Space Launch, & More


I've been visiting my home state of Wisconsin the past couple of weeks, and I just found out about the live webcam set up at the University of Wisconsin - Madison campus monitoring a Red-Tailed Hawk nest above one of thAtmospheric, Oceanic & Space Sciences buildings.  I love watching baby animals progress (every time I hear about a new puppy-cam litter, I am quick to bookmark it for days when I need some cheer), and these little chicks have already grown quite a bit in the month since this photo was taken.  It's always fun to catch the video stream when the chicks are being fed, or just interacting with the parents in any way.

via




Earlier today, the launch of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket was aborted a split-second before launch when computers detected slightly elevated engine pressure, causing the launch system to shut down.  The aim of this launch is to test for future flight of the commercial Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft for cargo missions to the International Space Station.  This would be the first time a privately constructed spacecraft will have traveled to and from the ISS.  Relaunch is predicted to be on May 22nd.

via



This video does a beautiful job of visualizing the complex inner workings of a cell (and the soundtrack is mesmerizing as well).  From the video description: "Harvard University selected XVIVO to develop an animation that would take their cellular biology students on a journey through the microscopic world of a cell, illustrating mechanisms that allow a white blood cell to sense its surroundings and respond to an external stimulus."


1 comment:

  1. I love baby-cam's too. I tend to catch them when the babies are sleeping, but that's OK because they are still cute!

    The private company launch unnerves me for some reason! Maybe I've read too many Orwellian books.

    And I LOVE the video. I don't know what I'm looking at within the cell but I know I'm looking at a cell. It is amazing! As I told you previously, it brings to mind the Psalmist's saying on being, "...fearfully and wonderfully made."

    Thank you again for the science Saturday posts. I love them.


    Lily-Thinking Thoughts

    ReplyDelete