Friday, January 25, 2013

Ancora Imparo

Last week I started my new job as an adjunct biology instructor at one of the local community colleges.  I have a full load this semester (2 lecture sections and 5 lab sections) and I am teaching Principles of Biology, an intro course for non-majors.  It's been a great experience so far, and I really enjoy teaching.  Sure, there are a handful of students who clearly don't care (I had 1 sleeper on the first day), but there are also a lot of them who are genuinely interested in learning AND who generally seem to like me.  One student showed up to class and he wasn't registered for my lecture section, but after one day he said he liked my teaching style so he wanted to switch from the other instructor's class.  *cue ego boost*


The thing that is great about this job is that while I am instructing people on how to learn about biology, it's teaching me that I still have a lot to learn about myself and how I approach new situations, working with new people, and new subject material.  I know I'll gain a lot from my teaching experience, and I hope it will greatly enhance my future opportunities as I continue to try to pursue a career as a scientist/academic.



1 comment:

  1. I've never understood the class sleepers, although I have been one on occasion. Hopefully, your sleeper was just tired and won't continually sleep through class. I had an instructor that deducted points for sleeping in class. He said, "just showing up isn't enough." So students who could ace the tests and turned in all the homework but slept in class, didn't get the A they thought they deserved. It's a bit harsh but it definitely leveled the playing field.

    I'm proud of you for taking this road. You will learn even as you teach. I think that is soooo cool.

    Lily-thinking thoughts

    ReplyDelete