Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Challenge: 13 in 13

I've always loved reading.  I started reading the classics as early as 3rd grade, I was obsessed with Agatha Christie novels in 6th grade, and fell in love with Middle Earth somewhere around 7th or 8th grade.  But from that point on, my time spent in books dwindled down to nothing.  I guess the busy activities of high school got in the way, and I've developed a bad habit of starting a book and never finishing it.

I have so many good friends who are bookworms, and over the past couple of years they have been influencing me to become a better reader (whether they know it or not ;)).  Last year I probably read about 3 books completely, and maybe started 1-2 more that I never finished.  WEAKSAUCE.  Not this year!  I've decided it's really important to get back into a literary lifestyle - as I think both fiction and non-fiction works can influence our lives for the better.  Since one of my resolutions is to focus on the positive and not the negative, I believe putting an emphasis on reading instead of other things will definitely be a positive influence.


Over the weekend, we visited a beach in St. Petersburg, FL, and I cracked open one of the new books I got for my birthday.  While I listened to the soothing sound of the waves upon the shore, I began to turn page by page by page.  I thought to myself, "I can do this. I can read more this year. I can make this a reality.  But I'll definitely need help."  So I broke down, gave in, and started up a Goodreads account last night.  My reading interests vary from the philosophical theology to beautiful fantasy to popular science to dystopian sci-fi.  Feel free to follow along with me and help encourage me to read 13 books in 2013!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wahoo! You're one of those above mentioned "influencers" ;)

      Delete
  2. Yay! My goal is a bit lofty for me(2 books a month), especially since I am a slow reader. It is hard to read fast when I read at bed time and end up falling asleep. But I am going to purpose to set aside time each day to read, NOT at bedtime, though I will read then too because it helps me shut off my mind from the day. I will be happy if I get the 13 in 13! (Thanks for finding me on Goodreads).

    Lily-thinking thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm don't have a goodreads account, but I decided to start pinning books I want/need to read... and based on the title of the one in your picture (I love Virology) I've added it to my list!

    ReplyDelete