Saturday, February 23, 2013

Movie Reviews: Pi, Argo, & Beasts

The Oscars are nearly upon us, and currently I have seen 8 out the 9 nominated best pictures.  I am planning on seeing Amour tonight.  After years and years of telling myself I will see all the best pictures before the award show, I've finally accomplished my goal!  Here are abridged versions of my most recent reviews.  Click each title to see my full reviews on Letterboxd if you are interested!

Life of Pi:
This movie broke the "stuck at 4-stars" rut for my top Oscar contenders. I never read the book, but the film adaptation definitely captured the magnificence of its storytelling.  The CGI was amazing, I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't a real tiger.  The spiritual/religious tone of the film was well done and has a lot to say about one's faith.
5-star rating: ★★★★1/2

Argo:
Ben Affleck truly stepped up his game, and the result is an excellent political thriller. There was drama, there was action, there was comedy...but all without seeming too Hollywood. Affleck's direction gave this film the appropriate realistic vs. dramatic elements.  The cast was great, and it was one of the best cinematic period pieces I've seen.
5-star rating: ★★★★1/2

Beasts of the Southern Wild:
I'm not sure if this film was too artsy and I am not smart enough to "get" it, or if I was just trying too hard to look for symbolism and meaning. I was pretty confused throughout the movie, yet pretty much figured out the plot right away. Basically...it's an indie film. But the music score was gorgeous and the young Quvenzhan√© Wallis deserves every bit of praise being thrown her way.  She was adorable and brilliant - with no prior acting experience at that!
5-star rating: ★★★


1 comment:

  1. I want to see all of these! I think we are watching Argo today! Good reviews lady!
    p.s. I have a new space. No longer girlcalledbeloved.
    xo, Amy
    hearttoshutter.com

    ReplyDelete