Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I have an itch...I mean a niche

As you can see, it's been a while since I've posted on here. Blog burnout is not uncommon, and I find myself letting my blog go to the wayside whenever big changes happen...remember how we moved and I started a new job? Yeah.

Lately, though, I've started to have all these blog post ideas, but just don't take the time to write them. Then Leslie posted this great post about finding your blogging niche. What a better time to reflect on what I want to do with this ol' blog of mine.

Here are my answers to her questions and here's to new found direction and focus! (Meaning...I'm going to start blogging regularly again!)


1. What is one of your favorite words, that you have never heard any one else that you know of describe themselves as?
Polymathic
2. If someone was to search for your blog in Google, and you could rank on the first page for 5 keywords, what would they be?
Faith, Science, Art, Geek, Creative
3. What is your favorite adjective? Especially one to describe the way a person is.
Exuberant
4. Think of your favorite movie character, comic book character, or cartoon character, that you self-identity with. What are a couple of words you would use to describe their personality? What color would you describe them as?
Misunderstood, passionate, inquisitive...a blue/green/teal color.
5. What color are you?
Red
6. What are you the most knowledgeable about? What would other people say you are the most knowledgeable about? When is the last time you went on a really good rant about something?
I'm really into a lot of stuff, so my knowledge has great breadth, but maybe not necessarily depth...? That being said, the last rant I had was about musicianship and making good art.
7. If you had to design a business card right now, and could only have 3 words on it, what would those words be?
Seek. Learn. Believe.
8. Your blog is a food. What food is it and why?
This blog is sushi. Simple in concept but varied in content. What's Your List? is your favorite comfort food...
9. If you could plan a photo shoot for your professional head shot, what would you be wearing? What piece of clothing, jewelry, or accessory would you wear that screams you?
I'd wear a black blazer over a nerdy t-shirt, with pearl earrings.
10. If you could collaborate with any blogger, artist, or person, who would it be, and what would you bring to their table?
I already collaborate with Valerie on What's Your List?, and I feel like we each bring our own character to it, she keeps me on track and I try to make things look nice ;) I'd love to collaborate with any of my favorite musicians, pretty selfishly, because I would hope to learn from them...not sure what I'd bring...a fresh outlook? I'd also love to collaborate on a project (blog or music or whatever) with my sister, because she's super talented and creative but doesn't often let people see that side of her. Word on the street is she's going to start blogging soon ;)
11. Pick a tagline for yourself. Or a few. 10 words total, for your identity, and niche.
See under sidebar photo.
12. If you could copyright one item, food, object, or animal, and when people see it they would think of you, what would it be? It will help if this object is not already associated with someone else.
I'd say a fox, I've always thought I'd be a fox if I was an animal, but now there is that stupid Fox song, so I don't know...this question is like the "What would your cutie mark be?" question, isn't it?! Impossible for me to answer.
13. Your blog is an animal. What animal is it, and why?
Hahaha. See answer above. Foxes are quirky, interesting, independent and do their own thing, despite what anyone else thinks.
14. You have to pick 2 emotions that your blog will make people feel. What are they? 
More than...: amused and inspired.
What's Your List?: reflective and inspired.
(haha...I want to inspire people, I guess!)
15. Someone who reads your blog writes you an email, expressing that your blog caused them to do something, or feel something, or think about something, or try to make something, and it makes you so happy to know this. What did it cause them to do?
To not settle and learn something new, to seek out answers (even if there isn't one), to reflect on the positive instead of the negative. 
16. What’s your favorite mythical creature, and why?
I always dug the phoenix...rebirth and new life and all that jazz. I also like pegasus and dragons.
17. Your blog is referred to someone that you admire by a friend. They use these 2 words to describe your niche.
Geeky. Creative.
18. You can only use one social network to promote your blog, forever. Which one do you choose and why?
Google+...I know, I know, haters gonna hate. But seriously, the post show off your blog images, it's associated with the best search engine, and "circles" help to focus content to specific groups.
19. You would love it if this store posted your blog’s business cards on their front counter.
Walk in love.
20. If you had to pull an Emma, and take a photo of yourself looking down from your chin of your feet and the ground, where would you choose to be standing, what would you choose to wear, and why?
Like this? Or this? Or this? Yeah, I'm no stranger to this pose ;)
21. What are you most passionate about? What would other people perceive you as being most passionate about? Are these things different?
I am passionate about learning, about finding truth, about creating good art. This is broad, and all my "sub-interests" fall into one of these three passions. I think people perceive me as being passionate about the arts, because that's the one area where I've been most "vocal" or rather, it's easiest to demonstrate in a physical capacity. The others are more "brainy" and not everyone wants to have those kinds of discussions at an intellectual level.
22. You have to choose a celebrity to do a poetic reading of your favorite blog post, with the perfect voice. Who is it?
Morgan Freeman. How is this a question?
23. What image on someone else’s blog have you seen that you love?
Everything on this blog, a year long "passion project" by a friend who is a graphic designer. Combines art and truth in a beautiful way.
24. You can only blog from one location for the rest of your life. Where is it?
I haven't found that "inspiration spot" yet...but I'm sure it'd be someplace with a great view of nature.
25. You walk into the Internet cafeteria. You see tables with every blogger ever. You sit down at the table with these 5 bloggers.
Rachel Held Evans
Jon Acuff
Micah Murray
Carl Zimmer
Michael Gungor
Yeah...that'd be some interesting table conversation. Haha.
26. You have to decorate your online bedroom. What is the pattern on your bedspread? What poster is above your bed? And what CD is in the CD player?
My bedspread is a simple off-white comforter with a crocheted throw at the foot of the bed. I'd have this poster set. These CDs would be on rotation in my multi-disc player: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

2 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!! I love Micah Murray's posts, they always make me think....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Agreed, they are totally thought-provoking...not just "because the Bible says so" commentary.

    ReplyDelete