Monday, October 7, 2013

Songs Like Trees

For the longest time, my siblings (Manika and Nathan), my husband (Matt), and I have wanted to form a band, but have never really had the ambition to work on it. We've made music together in the past (mostly on worship team at church), but nothing where we really put our musical creativities together. This past weekend, our 2am jam session turned into our first time recording all together...followed by a band name brainstorming session until 5am. We finally settled on the name Songs Like Trees, inspired by this passage from Tolkien's The Two Towers:
'Of course, it is likely enough my friends,’ [Treebeard] said slowly, ‘likely enough that we are going to our doom: the last march of the Ents.  But if we stayed at home and did nothing, doom would find us anyway, sooner or later.  That thought has long been growing in our hearts; and that is why we are marching now.  It was not a hasty resolve.  Now at least the last march of the Ents may be worth a song.  Aye,’ he sighed, ‘ we may help the other peoples before we pass away.  Still, I should have liked to see the songs come true about the Entwives.  I should dearly have liked to see Fembrethil again.  But there, my friends, songs like trees bear fruit only in their own time and their own way: and sometimes they are withered untimely.’
Our first cover is just a quick demo version, recorded live in my parents' living room using Nate's iPhone. Hopefully next time, our studio room will be all set up so we can record properly :) We hope to work on several cover songs, and also some original songwriting. It should be interesting to see how all our unique individualities and styles will come together.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! I will say, "I knew her when..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ent quote gave me chills! Great name. I love your cover and my baby boy seemed to like it too. I look forward to hearing more from you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so long since I heard you all sing. Is it Nate first, joined by Manika, then you? Matt mostly on guitar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it! We went through a LOT of bad band name ideas before this passage finally jumped out at us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good guesses...Matt actually sings the very first verse, Manika second verse, me third verse. Nate and I do the chorus in harmony, joined by Manika in the middle harmony.


    Nate plays the guitar and Matt was doing the piano! Our next recording will include me on organ and Manika will add kick drum and light percussion.

    ReplyDelete