Wednesday, January 1, 2014

All Things New

Why do we invest so much in celebrating the new year? It's just another day. It's just another planetary rotation around the sun. We are still the same people that we were in 2013. But yet we throw big parties, make resolutions, and celebrate the start of something new.

image source: EOL/JSC/NASA - ISS007-E-10807
We want to have purpose. We want to be better. We want to make a difference.

But we don't need a new year to do those things. Our desire to make a change can start at any moment - the instant we decide to take action. We don't need a countdown to midnight to ring in this new start. It happens when you let it happen. When you invite that opportunity to become a part of your daily life.

I have a tendency to think big thoughts, plan big plans...I get right up to that point of actually doing, but never do. I have so many ideas in my head, but never make the effort to act upon them. I feel like I let people (and myself) down because I am willing to brainstorm ideas, but don't take action.

The new year gives us pause to think about these things, these thoughts and ideas and plans, but it requires so much more. The truth is that we can't make these changes on our own. We need encouragement, we need love, we need hope, we need a promise that a fresh start can actually make all things new.

How will you strive to be made new? Where do you look for hope and help? I know I need help and strength and courage to do all I want to do. I need to seek out strong relationships with my family and friends. I need to commit to having a heart of faith even when I struggle and doubt.

Let's not make our new year's resolutions about what we can do for ourselves, but what we can do for each other and with each other. Are you in?


No comments:

Post a Comment