Thursday, January 16, 2014

The International Geek Girl Pen Pals Club

Last year, I was introduced to the International Geek Girl Pen Pals Club (or IGGPPC) through several bloggers/Twitter friends, and I was quite intrigued. Wanting to get back into the lost art of written communication (something I am still working on!!), I signed up and started on an amazing journey of friendships with a group of awesomely geeky women (most of whom I have never not yet met in real life).

What started out as a simple idea born out of the brilliant minds of Leslie (aka Stewie) and Emily (aka Farquharson or Frogmella) quickly became an internet phenomenon. The goal of the club is to pair up like-minded individuals based off of their "Top 5 Geek Loves" and encourage friendship building through sending letters, postcards, and care packages - often to the other end of the globe! My first pen pal I was paired with is an amazing artist from the Netherlands and my second pen pal now runs a blog with me.

In addition to the pair-ups, the online community is very strong. A few days ago, the IGGPPC launched a brand new website with interactive forums, a leaderboard for achievements to unlock around the site, and of course, registration to be paired up with a pen pal who shares your geeky interests. The are currently in their 10th round of pair-ups, and according to their official press release, nearly 10,000 people have been hand matched through nearly 50,000 geek loves!

The IGGPPC is on a mission to maintain the lost art of letter writing in the technological age, inspire new friendships, and spread geeky awesomeness around the globe. You can sign up NOW for Round 10 of pair-ups, and within a month, you'll be sending and receiving goodies from the long lost friend you never knew you had. What are you waiting for?!




1 comment:

  1. I love IGGPPC! I don't know how many women my age like that kind of thing but I do! I've actually gotten a couple of repeat penpals (in other words we have continued to write to each other). Now if I could find some decent (aka affordable) real stationery!

    ReplyDelete