Friday, February 28, 2014

30 Before 30: Achievement Unlocked!

Click here to see my full 30 before 30 list
It has been several years since I've been involved in any musical theatre productions - not since college. It's something that I really enjoyed doing and miss doing. As an introvert, theatre is the perfect way to get out of the house and socialize, put on a "mask" by playing a role, and is actually a time when I feel comfortable being the center of attention (not in a diva-ish way, just in a I'm-on-stage-and-everyone-is-looking-at-me way).

When we moved to Madison, I immediately started googling community theatres in the area to see who was holding auditions. I found a theatre company that was holding auditions for two summer shows, Rent and A Chorus Line, and I signed up for an audition slot.

I attended dance call first, and wow...was I completely overwhelmed! I have always been a "dancer," not really having any formal training, but have always felt comfortable and natural in the way my body perceives movement. Though I did almost attend ballet school as a child, and have taken several random ballet/jazz/tap class here and there - so I'm familiar with choreography and dance terminology. And of course, I'm an avid swing dancer/lindy hopper. Anyway, the choreography we learned was the opening dance number in A Chorus Line (should've seen that coming) and after a quick warm up floor sequence, she taught the routine SUPER fast. The combination of not having danced for years and being out of shape definitely took it's toll on my ability to learn it. I probably would've been fine if we spent just a liiiitle more time learning it. But at least I still rocked my double pirouette!

I thought my vocal audition went well, and there were only two other people in my audition slot, so I wasn't extremely nervous or fearful of being compared to them - I just sang my best and tried to emote through my song selections to show off my acting skillz as well (Uptempo: Spark of Creation from Children of Eden, Ballad: I Know the Truth from Aida).

Ultimately, I didn't get cast in either show, but it I was proud of myself for just getting out there and trying out. It's hard being new and showing yourself to a close-knit group with a lot of talented people in it. I'll still be keeping my eye out for future auditions in the area.

And I'm actually relieved that I don't have the commitment for our first full spring/summer in Madison ;) There's still a lot to do and explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment