Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015 Reading Challenge

2014 was the year that I started reading again. I read a lot as a child, but growing up seemed to pull me away from the pages. While I consume a lot of well written content via the internet, nothing replaces the feeling of gray matter saturated with words off of a page. Luckily, I have family and friends that are avid book-junkies who helped to inspire me to get back into reading.

I'm quite consistent in my lit choices—classics, sci-fi/fantasy, and non-fiction popular science. I also got into graphic novels and believe they are an important literary genre. But I am hoping that 2015 will bring the challenge of continuing to read more, in quantity and in breadth.

Image via Flickr; user pandora_6666

Herein enters the 2015 Reading Challenge. I spotted some Twitter friends discussing books for a couple of challenges and wanted to join in the fun. I created my own reading list by selecting some of topics listed by PopSugar's Ultimate Reading Challenge and BookRiot's Read Harder Challenge (there is some overlap between the two lists and I omitted several). I'm also going to "double-down" on some of the categories (identified by the "†"), which I think is reasonable.

I created a bookshelf on my Goodreads and will be tracking my progress throughout the year. Here's to a bookish 2015!

A book with more than 500 pages: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
A classic romance: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
A book that became a movie: Life of Pi by Yann Martel
A book published this year: TBD
A book written before 1850: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
A book with a number in the title: Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
A book written by someone under 25: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
A book written by someone over 65: The Meaning of Human Existence by E.O. Wilson
A book that someone else has recommended to you: Killer Dolphin by Ngaio Marsh
A book published by an indie press: 30 Days by xYz
A book by or about someone that identifies as LGBTQ: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
A book with nonhuman characters: Animal Farm by George Orwell
A funny book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
A mystery or thriller: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
A microhistory: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
A YA novel: Looking for Alaska by John Green
A sci-fi novel: The Martian by Andy Weir
A nonfiction book: Quiet by Susan Cain
A book with a one-word title: Quiet by Susan Cain
A book of short stories: The Philip K. Dick Reader
A self-improvement book: Quiet by Susan Cain
A book set in a different country: Life of Pi by Yann Martel
A popular author's first book: Looking for Alaska by John Green
A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet: The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis
A book a friend recommended: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
A Pulitzer Prize-winning book: Tom's River: A Story of Science and Salvation by Dan Fagin
A book that is a retelling of a classic story: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
A collection of poetry: 30 Days by xYz
A guilty pleasure book: The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
A book based on a true story: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
A book at the bottom of your to-read list: Blankets by Craig Thompson
A book based entirely on its cover: All My Friends Are Dead by Avery Monson and Jory John
A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
A memoir: "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!": Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard P. Feynman
A book you can finish in a day: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
A book with antonyms in the title: The Agony and The Ecstasy by Irving Stone
A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit: Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
A book that came out the year you were born (1984): The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
A trilogy: The Heir to the Empire (Thrawn) Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
A book from your childhood: Redwall by Brian Jacques
A book with a love triangle: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
A book set in the future: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeling L'Engle
A book set in high school: Looking for Alaska by John Green
A book with a color in the title: The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
A book with magic: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
A graphic novel: Maus by Art Spiegelman
A book you own but have never read: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
A book that was originally written in a different language: if on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino
A book set during Christmas: Landline by Rainbow Rowell
A book written by an author with your same initials: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
A play: Othello by William Shakespeare
A banned book: A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
A book based on or turned into a TV show: A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
A book you started but never finished: The Reason for God by Timothy Keller

Total Books: 44


4 comments:

  1. Yay, A Clockwork Orange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you like Agatha Christie, you may want to swap out And Then There Were None (original title: Ten Little Indians) for one of Ngaio Marsh's titles, specifically Killer Dolphin. Same time frame, great writing. Killer Dolphin has the plus of involving the theatre. A follow up to that book that is even better (and revisits the same characters twenty years later) is Light Thickens. Do I remember you mentioning at some point that you'd read some of her stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I got this reading challenge from you, I figured I should read it in honor of you ;) But seriously...it's been on my to-read list for forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put And Then There Were None on there because I picked up a copy at HPB last year and have been meaning to re-read it, so it was an easy choice since I don't have to get it elsewhere.


    BUT, since a top priority the 1st week of 2015 is to stop by the library and finally get a library card, it will be easier to borrow books I don't own.


    AND, one of the categories that I omitted was "a book that someone else recommended to you," so I think I will re-add that to the list and put Killer Dolphin on there!

    ReplyDelete